Powered by Blogger.

The Announcement

I don't like being the center of attention.  In fact, I hate it.  I like to fly under the radar and just do my thing.  My motto is "leave me alone."  You know what happens when you get knocked up?  You cannot escape attention.  It's quite literally my nightmare.


When it came to telling people that we're going to have a kid, I really just wanted to send out a mass text message and then turn my phone off.  I didn't want to be in the same room as everyone and have to endure all of the emotions and what not.  Listen, I'm not a robot...I have feelings and I show emotion...I'm just a realist and so when I think of pregnancy, I think of something that millions of women go through as a part of life.  My mom was pregnant with me, my mother in law was pregnant with my husband.  They all did it.  I just don't, personally, see it as a huge, momentous occasion to celebrate.  I'm doing my so-called "job" as a women to cook this kid for 9 months and then raise it to be a functioning member of society to the best of my abilities.  As a side note, I don't think that a woman's "job" is to bear children...I was being facetious.

Well, my husband was decidedly NOT on board with my text message/phone off plan and immediately wanted to start discussing fun ways to announce this kid to our family.  It's at this point in our story that I looked at him and said, "If you want to do anything exciting to announce this kid, then you can do it yourself."  See, I'm being a mom already and delegating.  So plan away, he did.

We knew that we wanted to wait to tell our parents until we knew that this was a viable pregnancy and that everything looked good.  We hadn't had any issues previously, but that means nothing when it comes to successfully conceiving and carrying a child.  Patience is one virtue that my husband does not possess.  Waiting 12 weeks for the magical "in the clear" from my doctor was not an option...he was itching to tell people within minutes of me announcing our fetus to him.  I will say that he conceded to waiting until we at least made it through one doctors appointment and could confirm that we were actually pregnant.  So 8 weeks in, he was ready to go.

We told my parents when we had them over for dinner to celebrate all of their birthdays in August.  My mom's, dad's, and step-dad's birthdays all fall within a 2 week period so it's easy to get them all out of the way at once.  We had an actual reason to have a cake, so this one was going to be easy.  The surprise was shared and congratulations were given.  My mother cried.  I did not.  I know, I'm heartless.

This came attached to the delicious ice cream cake I picked out for the surprise


Not wanting to leave my in-laws out of the loop for much longer, we told them the next day.  My mother-in-law screamed and then cried and even my father-in-law showed a little emotion.  It's always a heartbreaker when dad's show emotion. I teared up a little for this one.

MIL loves wine...bingo! Perfect idea.


I made it.  Our parents knew!  I got the hard part out of the way....or so I thought.  Now that the parents knew, they wanted to know when they could tell the world.  Cue my internal cringing.  We ended up telling our parents around the 8 week mark and so we let them know that we wanted to get to the 12 mark and get our genetic testing back before we announce to the world.  They, begrudgingly, agreed...and then proceeded to bother us the next 4-5 weeks about whether we could just tell our siblings and the rest of the family early.

Have I mentioned how fun being pregnant is?

xoxo

No comments